Monday, July 28, 2014

Back to School: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!


I know there are some parents out there who are sad to see their kids go back to school at the end of the summer—I'm not one of them. When my kids are home together, they have to be constantly supervised, and it is extremely tiring. And when I say constantly, I'm not exaggerating. Even if they aren't attacking one another, one or both of them is usually doing something that will either get them hurt, or destroy our house. By the time "back to school" rolls around, I'm dancing through the aisles at Target as I shop for school supplies singing that Christmas song "It's the most wonderful time of the year". (very much like this) I count down the days until we can get back into a regular routine, because summer and track out are anything but routine. Kids with autism thrive on routine and predictability, so school (as long as they are in a good class) can be one of the best things for them.

This year, I will have BOTH of my boys in school all day. I'm both scared and excited. I'm scared because Jackson is so little, I just can't picture my baby going to school yet, but I'm excited for him to begin learning and hopefully getting some of the help he badly needs. He still doesn't speak, but he is picking up on some sign language, so I have hope that we will be able to find SOME way to communicate with him, even if he is non-verbal.

What will I do with myself between the hours of 9:00 - 2:30 you might wonder? I know exactly what I want to do—WRITE! I can finally focus on my writing career and have time to write (not in the middle of the night, like I do now). I am working furiously on a new book, and I have ten other writing projects in line after that, not to mention this blog. I know I don't have a cult of followers who read my blog, but I keep it because it's a record for me to look back on. Who knows, maybe one day I will write a book about Autism (the thought has definitely crossed my mind).

Having the boys in school will also give me time to focus on my health. Constant stress eventually leads the mind and body to break down. I've definitely hit that point. I have quite a few stress related or stress induced health issues that I struggle with every day. (Learn more about how stress can cause burn-out here) I'm not going to spill all of my medical history to the world, but I would like to reach out to other moms out there who deal with the stress of having a child with autism and emphasize the importance of STRESS RELIEF!! Do whatever it takes to give yourself a break once in a while. The money you pay to a baby-sitter, or mother's helper, pales in comparison to the money you spend going to ten different doctors, loads of prescription drugs (with side effects), all trying to undo the damage of STRESS.

Hang in there (I know that sound like a cat poster…ha ha ha…we love the Lego Movie at our house, so if you don't get that joke, you probably don't have boys). Don't break under the pressure of autism. It's a lifelong challenge and it can be truly daunting, but I know you love your child, like I love mine. As a mother, it's second nature to give, give, give, but it's really important to take some time for yourself (and your husband too if you have one, if you don't, there's even MORE reason for you to get a break!)

Am I a horrible mother because I'm not crying when I drop my kids off at school? No. No I'm not.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment