Monday, June 23, 2014

Autism and Medication


The topic of medications and autism is almost as controversial as the topic of vaccines (not going there right now). We know that autism affects every child differently. I have two children with it and they have very few similarities in how their autism presents itself. Braden in particular is going to be my subject today, because he has been on medication for about four years now. There are a lot of different opinions about putting autistic kids on medication, because there is no drug out there that “treats” autism. There are drugs that help tone down some of the more disruptive symptoms that keep our kids from being able to function and get the most out of their therapies or school.

I am not against medications, but I was very hesitant when deciding to put Braden on medication because I did not want to lose all the wonderful things we loved about Braden. I was worried that putting him on medication would turn him into a “zombie” and there is always the judgments that come from other parents who are against medicating. I don’t normally care what others think of me, but sometimes it seems as if everyone thinks they know what is right for my child. I’m aware that most people who offer “advice” are only trying to help me, but they don’t know Braden like I do, and they are not the ones who live with him every day. So, yes, I did not want to deal with the inevitable criticism from others, but I had to think about what was best for Braden, and for our family.

Braden was four-years-old, and I was pregnant with Jackson, when Braden began to display aggressive behavior toward others. When he was first diagnosed with autism at eighteen-months-old, he was self-injurious, but he had never attempted to hurt anyone else. With me being pregnant, I was very worried about his behavior and for the safety of the baby, so I took Braden to see a Developmental Pediatrician who specializes in autism. He recommended a drug, which I believe is usually prescribed for high blood pressure, but he reassured me that Braden’s blood pressure would be monitored closely and we would hopefully see a decline in the aggression. I reluctantly agreed to try a low dose of the drug.

It’s been four years, and we have had to adjust Braden’s medication regimen several times, which is no fun for anyone. We never make medication adjustments lightly either. We have tried anti-depressants (without success) and we have even tried anti-psychotics, which required some serious thought and reflection, because these drugs can have some serious side effects. Recently, we decided that despite Braden’s worsening aggression, we needed to take him off of all medications to gauge his baseline behavior and see what he really needs to be on, because the tricky thing about a growing child taking medicine is that changes are inevitable as they grow and go through different phases. We know we are in for a rough summer, and it’s already been no picnic, but I believe it’s necessary, and what is best for Braden right now.

My point to this post is that we are the parents and we know our children. Do we always have the right answer? No. I am frequently at a loss as to how to respond to some of my kids’ behavior, but I wouldn’t trust this job to anyone else. I consult with a doctor that I trust, and I take his opinions under advisement, but ultimately, Jeremy and I are the ones making the decisions and we have to live with them. We pray, we research the drugs that are being recommended, and we decide if it will be beneficial to Braden. Some medications we have tried have been complete train wrecks, and have made everyone in our house miserable for weeks, but we live and we learn. What we are doing now, is what we think is best. Braden will probably have to go back on the meds eventually, but right now, this is what we feel is right. Every mother or father out there with a special needs child, or a child with ANY illness for that matter, has to decide at some point about medications. You are the parent, you know your child best, and even if you aren’t a doctor, you are the most qualified person to make the decision about it. Do your research, and get your information from a reliable source, because just about anything you read on the internet needs to be taken with a grain of salt. What works for one child may not work for another. Some natural remedies work, some diet changes work, and sometimes pharmaceuticals are the best route, but whatever your choice, don’t let other’s make you doubt yourself. You have been chosen to be the parent of a special child; you are a warrior, fighting a battle that no one but you can fight, and no one but you can fully understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment