Thursday, February 20, 2014

How to Pick a Husband

There are only a few things that I’m good at. I can paint your toes with pretty designs, I’m a good massage therapist and I guess you could say I’m a decent writer, though, that is a craft that I have yet to hone and get better at. But, the best thing I’ve ever done in my life is picking the right husband. Sure, I could have married any decent guy I guess, but to be honest, I think that I found the best of the best…the Top Gun of husbands. Here is what makes him the best:

He is an amazing cook and he actually does make dinner several nights of the week. I can follow a recipe, but he’s better. When we were first married, I didn’t know how to cook anything but steamed chicken and rice-a-roni and I wasn’t even great at that. I’ve learned to do better over the past 15 years of our marriage, but he can grill some of the best steaks I’ve ever eaten, he can make a delicious prime rib roast, he makes Haitian food, Indian food and lots of other yummy stuff that requires skill in the kitchen.

He cleans. He does dishes, laundry, cleans toilets, mows the lawn, washes and cleans the cars; helps clean the children (He should get an award for that one alone right there). I’m sure there are other guys out there who clean, but in my experience, I got the BEST one!

He is the most patient person I have EVER met. I am one of the most impatient people and honestly, I don’t know how he’s survived the past fifteen years with ME. He puts up with my quirks and my odd sense of humor (authors are their own breed of weird, we just live somewhere else sometimes, and we keep odd hours). He’s taught me a thing or two about being patient. He keeps a level head in just about any situation and he helps me to keep my anxiety in check. I was a bit of a wild one when he and I met, but his mellow temperament has had the effect of taming me (a little) over the years.

He is the best daddy and he’s proud of his boys. Our boys can be so rambunctious and crazy sometimes and it scares me to death sometimes but Jeremy gets right in there, rolls around on the floor with them, and plays with them…and they absolutely love him. Especially Braden, he is constantly asking me where daddy is. The first things out of his mouth in the morning are “Where’s Daddy?” and when I have to tell him daddy is at work, he gets upset. The first thing out of his mouth when he gets home from school is “Where’s Daddy?” and when I tell him that daddy has to sleep because he worked all night, he gets upset. Braden LOVES his daddy and Jeremy LOVES his boys. Jackson is a little bit more of a mommy’s boy (but I love it) but he has so much fun playing with his daddy. Jeremy’s level of patience when it comes to having two boys with autism makes him the best of the best father’s, and a wife could NOT ask for more! And, I don’t have to ask, he gives so much of himself, I’ve never met anyone more selfless. Not to mention he’s always been willing to change more than his fair share of diapers!

He is just a GOOD, GOOD, GOOD man. He works hard at work, and at home; there is no way for me to explain how much that means to me. He’s strong spiritually, and he helps inspire me. He’s never touched a drop of alcohol or tobacco in his life and obviously stayed clean of drugs. That means a lot more to me than even he may realize.

He’s a team player. I don’t know how everyone else’s marriage works, but Jeremy and I approach every challenge we have faced in our fifteen years of marriage as a TEAM. There is no “I” in team, but if you rearrange the letters, you can spell mate, tame and meat (he’s a hunk! Wink wink). He and I do everything from grocery shopping to bedtime routines together.

Fifteen years ago today, I married him and I could go on all day listing all the reasons he’s the BEST HUSBAND in the history of EVER, but I think you get my point. I may not be great at many things, but I tell you what, I know how to pick a darn good husband. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment