Thursday, November 14, 2013

Wedded Bliss and Other Stuff


 (Super long post, but what do you expect when you're trying to fit 7 years worth of your life into one post.)

The day Jeremy and I got married, was one of the most amazing and happiest moments of my life. I knew he was the right man for me, though. I had prayed about it, and had one of those rare moments when you actually feel like God is talking back to you. I asked God "Should I marry this man?" and I immediately felt like my heart was going to explode (I was not having a heart attack). I was being told that this was absolutely the right man for me to marry. The crazy part is, we had only known each other for exactly three months, and I wasn't even eighteen yet (close, but not for a few months). It was a huge commitment to make, but I trusted God to know what was right for me, and he was definitely telling me "Marry Jeremy!" as clearly, as if he had hit me with a bolt of lightning. There were skeptics out there though that thought, "She's too young! She doesn't know what she wants out of life yet." I knew EXACTLY what I wanted my life to be. I had it ALL planned out. We would get married and start having babies right away, I would be a stay-at-home mommy, and everything would be perfect! God told me to marry the right man, but he did not tell me I would have all those other things.

Whatever idiot came up with the idea that the first year of marriage is the best, or the "newlywed" phase was so great—should be shot. That first year of marriage is when you are learning all the things about your spouse that they worked so hard to hide during your courtship. They are also learning the same things about you. In my religion, we don't believe in living together before marriage. I still hold firm to that belief. Our first year of marriage was filled with all kinds of excitement, frustration, fun, confusion, some sadness, and a whole mess of other stuff. The point is, I don't believe it was the best year of our marriage. We have had much better years than that one since then, despite some of our difficulties.  

About three months after we got married, I missed my period…I know you're thinking 'Wow! A baby already?' You're wrong. That's when the first of God's life lessons began for me. No period. I thought OMG! I might be pregnant! Tests are negative, but still no period. Well, I have just gone through getting married and had a major lifestyle change so I figured stress could be to blame. Then came the weight gain, rapid weight gain. I know exactly how much I weighed when I got married (Every woman does) I weighed 118 pounds. I was petite and thin. I had never been fat in my life, but suddenly my body was ballooning and within months I had gained probably 30 pounds, but that's not where it stopped. By the time we had our first anniversary, I weighed close to 180 pounds. I was very depressed about how my body had changed. We both wanted to have a baby and there were people all around us having babies.

As soon as we hit that one year mark, though, we began to get the inevitable, yet well intended question at family gatherings "So, when are you two going to start having kids?" or "Give me some grandkids!" I didn't really want to admit that I was essentially defective, though it was pretty obvious to everyone that I had put on a ton of weight. They just didn't realize (and neither did I) that it didn't have anything to do with my diet (which had not changed too much). So, whenever I would get one of those inevitable questions, I would smile and say "Oh, I don't know. We're not ready for that just yet." or some other excuse. It didn't matter. The point is I wanted a baby, but couldn't have one. I knew something was wrong with me, but didn't know what. I was frustrated, depressed, angry, envious and life wasn't going the way I had PLANNED it.

When we hit that three year mark, it became obvious to everyone that we had fertility issues, but the topic was taboo. I didn't want to talk about it and people didn't want to bring it up. I was seriously angry at God because I couldn't understand why on earth he would put me through all this crap! I watched relatives and friends having baby after baby. I dreaded going to baby showers and I didn't even really want to go to family gatherings anymore because it was just too hard to see all the babies and happy families everywhere. The same thing happened at Church. I belong to a very family oriented church where it's perfectly normal to have ten children, and every Sunday lesson had to do with how to teach your children about God (or so it seemed to me). I stopped going to church, because I just couldn't sit there staring at every other mother in the building with a baby in her arms. Don't even get me started on Mother's Day. That is the absolute worst day of the year! Yes, I believe we should celebrate our mothers and thank them for all the sacrifices that they made (and still make) for us, but for a woman who doesn't have children and wants one so badly it breaks her heart every day of the year, Mother's Day is like "D-Day". You have to gear yourself up for it and try to survive it (And definitely NOT attend church that day!)

This blog isn't really about my struggles with infertility, but I can't leave all of that part out of our story (I could probably start a whole other blog, just about that if I wanted to.). It changed the way I think, and my relationship with God, and my understanding of his plan for me. It took me a very long time to realize that I don't really get to plan out every detail of my life. Sure, I make choices every day, and I'm definitely responsible for those choices, but there are a lot of things that you cannot control in your life and God is the one who is trying to teach you about life and the universe. Like that whole saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." I'm the horse. I'm stubborn. I'm a control freak (or I used to be. I still have my days) and when life wasn't happening according to MY plans, I couldn't understand what the heck was going on. It takes a feat of impossible inner strength to let go of YOUR plan and allow God to do his work. After almost 7 YEARS of struggling, I finally accepted that God just might not want me to be a mother after all, and I would have to find some other purpose in life. I finally let it go. My dream of being a mother, having a family and even who I would be in this life on earth was gone.

Jeremy and I decided to give the fertility doctor one last chance, though. I had been told that I needed to have surgery on my ovaries in order to give us about a 9 month window to get pregnant. It wasn't a permanent fix, there wasn't even a guarantee that it would work at all, and we were told that it probably wouldn't be covered by our insurance either. (Yippee). I was getting ready to graduate from Massage Therapy School (I decided that, that was what I would be if I couldn't be a mom). We talked to the doctor and said we wanted to do the surgery. (Even if we had to make payments for ten years.) I had the surgery done and we geared ourselves up for the inevitable ups and downs of each monthly cycle. There is never a month so long, as the one in which you have to count every day, only to find out at the end of it that you have to start all over again. Most people won't really understand what I mean by that, but those of you out there who have struggled with infertility…you know EXACTLY what I mean. After my surgery Jeremy and I tried for a couple of months to do things "All Natural", but it wasn't working, so we went back to the doctor and decided to do a round of drugs. Here's how it went:

Cycle Day 1-7 take mystery pills.

Cycle Day 10 come in and have an ultrasound of your ovaries to see if said mystery pills are working. if they are YAY! If not. You're pretty much either screwed for that cycle or wait a few more days and come back in to see if there are any changes. Fortunately in our case the pills seemed to be doing their job. We had eggs! (Not babies, just eggs) So, onto the next step.

Cycle Day12 or 14: Depending on what the doctor learned from the ultrasound, they will tell you which day (and even what time) you get to give yourself a shot in the butt or thigh. Then have sex about 12 hours after the shot, and again 24 hours after that—if you really feel like it, you can try again 24 hours after that. It's not exactly a romantic process, but when you're desperate to have a baby…what else can you do. 

Cycle Day 14-28: WAITING…you get to use these wonderful suppositories filled with a hormone that makes you feel pregnant, when you aren't pregnant. You get to wake up to pee in the middle of the night, you get to have sore boobs, and you're extremely emotional (but that problem exists even BEFORE you start the hormone treatment, so you can see how long a month can be for a woman going through this process.) You spend every day trying to decipher every little thing you feel in your body, to see if it's "telling you something". It's psychological torture for 14 days.

Day 28: Aaaah. Testing day. You're both dreading and looking forward to this day. It's truly terrifying. Well, I had followed all of my instructions down to the letter and on testing day I got up first thing in the morning to take my test—NEGATIVE. I spent the next hour crying and realizing I had to call the nurse and tell them it didn't work, so I could go pick up my packet of drugs for the next cycle.

Day 30: Still waiting for my period so that I can start my new round of mystery pills. I'm sitting in my car at a stop light (crying), and I suddenly decide to have a conversation with God about what I'm doing. I tell him that I'm done with the fertility stuff and I finally get the point. I'm not going to be a mom, and I told him that I would be ok with that eventually (or I would try to anyway). I told him that I understand I've been given a defective body to live in while I'm here on earth, and I would try to be ok with that too, but that I couldn't put myself through this anymore.

Day 35: July 4th 2005, Still no period. I'm lying in bed wondering what else could possibly be wrong with my body. It's early, probably 5:00am but because of those wonderful hormones, I have to pee, so I go into the bathroom but something inside the back of my brain nags me and tells me to take another test. I tell my brain "You're an idiot! You already took a test! You're just going to hurt yourself taking another test! Don't be stupid!" My brain responds with, "But what if?.." I'm beaten. I get out a test (which by now I've bought in bulk, but this is my LAST ONE) and I pee on it and set it on the side of the tub, but I absolutely REFUSE to watch it! I sit on the bathroom floor staring at the toilet for the entire three-minute waiting period (which feels like an eternity). I spend those three minutes telling my brain that it sucks and I hate it for making me do this to myself. Finally, after the three-minute eternity is over, I go over to the tub to look at the test. What the.... Positive? That can't be right! I check the packaging to make absolutely SURE that I'm not reading it wrong (even though I knew exactly how to read it) It's right. POSITIVE!!! I sit back down on the bathroom floor in complete shock, tears streaming down my face, and I just say aloud "Thank you God, but if I have a miscarriage after this, we're going to have a serious chat when I die!" Chances of having a miscarriage with my condition (PCOS) are higher, but right then, in the bathroom (after my conversation with God), I let go and allowed myself to get excited. REALLY EXCITED!!!  I ran out of the bathroom crying and screaming "JEREMY! JEREMY! JEREMY!" He's just been woken from a dead sleep and thinks the house must be on fire, but he wakes to see his hysterical wife waving some white stick 5 inches from his face, and he doesn't get it. (I don't blame him either. I was totally out of control). When I finally got out the words, "I'M PREGNANT!" He hopped on board the excitement train right away! We were both still a little skeptical though and decided to take a few more tests that day (4 to be exact). It was a holiday so the doctor's office was closed. and we were going to my mother's house for a family gathering. We stopped at the drug store, and picked up more tests and hid them in my purse, and every time I went to the bathroom, I would take another test. They all came out positive. It was REALLY difficult to contain my emotions that day, but I didn't want to tell anyone until I had it confirmed by the doctor. When Monday rolled around, I took my break at work in the conference room and I called my doctor, and when the receptionist answered, I said, "I'm pregnant! What do I do!" She chuckled and told me to come in for a blood test.

A miracle had happened! We were FINALLY going to have a baby! What did I do? I began planning… (Silly, silly me. I had STILL not learned my lesson.)

No comments:

Post a Comment